Monday, October 4, 2010

Hippie Documentary of the....week? The 11th Hour

When I last wrote about a Hippie Documentary, I entitled the post 'Hippie Documentary of the Week.' I figured with as many documentaries as I had been watching, I would be able to post a new one each week for you to consider watching. Unfortunately, that did not come to fruition. I got busy, and forgot to post. Oops. So here I go again. I will try to be more on top of this. This week, I am recommending The 11th Hour. Produced and narrated by Leonardo DiCaprio, this film discusses global warming and our impact on the planet. Although some of the footage was, in my opinion, somewhat excessive (did they really show a man bludgeoning a seal??) and bordering on shock effect scare-tactics, this film does present a powerful message: we are trashing the planet, and we need to stop. Now. Fortunately, as is the goal with most documentaries, a solution is ultimately provided, and the viewer is left feeling hopeful and inspired. *Spoiler alert* : The coolest fact this doc presented is that by using existing technologies, we can reduce our impact on the planet by 90 percent! That is pretty remarkable and encouraging. Renewable energy sources like solar power and wind energy could reduce our impact by 90 percent. Pretty cool. Not to mention new innovations in renewable energy technology that are being developed every day. It seems that we are at a turning point, as the film mentions. Will we continue to trash the planet until it's too late? Or will we find ways to change our lifestlyes and change our mentalities so that protecting the planet becomes a priority?

No comments:

Post a Comment